Thursday, March 22, 2012

Brown Bottle, Green Apple and Rose


Brown Bottle, Green Apple and Rose oil on canvas 9 x 12



My husband loves to collect glass bottle and I enjoy painting them. This time the bottle was a delight to paint and so was the apple... the rose, well that was a bit of a challenge. It’s taken me a few hours to decide I like it and not to fiddle around with it, again. Many times when I can’t quite get something to look just so... I pull out my art books or watch a video, look at other artist’s work..... this time I did all three!
Later this evening I watch a painting demo on roses to see if I could get a few tips. The video was from ArtTVClick and the artist was Heidi Moran, here’s a link:
her technique is very loose and I love the way she dances the brush across the canvas. What she did say that intrigued me was every painting she paints she starts off very enthusiastic to paint and then there’s a point where she she questions herself and final she gets to the stage where she accepts the fact she’s not as in love with it and says (I’m paraphrasing) “I’ve just learned something for the next painting”. I really this philosophy... it’s saying every painting is a stepping stone for the next painting.
And each painting teaches you something .... so the moral of the story is... keep painting and painting and painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment