Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 8 - 30 Paintings in 30 Day Challenge

Today is Day 8 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge that I signed on to be apart of with Leslie Saeta and over 260 other artists. 

My theme is: Connecticut Treasures. 
 Over the past year I've taken so many shots of places, events, people and things all around Connecticut and I'm looking forward to sharing these inspirations with you.
"Waiting for the Train", oil, 6x6, $85

Getting Back on Track
One of the reasons I'm loving this painting challenge is it's getting me back on track not only with painting daily but the follow through. Painting is actually the easiest part for me it's staying on task after the painting is completed because there's so much more behind the scenes i.e. image editing, updating website, marketing/posting etc. that goes into selling artwork. But it feels good at the end of the day going through the routine and completing all 21 steps because I know I've got to do it again... tomorrow! I'll continue to share with you my other reasons and insights on taking on a 30 day challenge that might encourage you to do the same.

Roll'n through the Autumn Colors
From Sept.-Dec. last year I travelled several times per week up to the tip of Connecticut's Northwest corner to visit my son at boarding school in Salisbury, CT. It's one hour and 37 min. drive some highway but mostly along Rt. 44. It was more of a treat than a chore (you know exactly what I mean if you've ever driven CT Rt. 44 in Autumn) It's like... rolling through the brightest most brilliant painter's palette! .Here's a place I would stop along the way: The Union Station in Canaan, CT. 
The station: 
"Better known as the oldest operating Union Station in the United States, the historic Victorian era Union Depot of Canaan, Ct. continues to be known as the heart of the town.  This grand, wooden structure was born in the heyday of the development of railroads in New England, and miraculously has survived until Fire caused it to almost be completely  destroyed on October 13, 2001" -(directly quoted from www.canaanunionstation.org website.)
Many afternoons around 3:30pm I would pull into the station to watch the conductor slow the train down to a crawl, stop, jump off and run ahead to switch the track then climb back aboard to cross over Rt. 44. Mixing together all the colors of the locomotive, the depot, the autumn leaves it was a picture beckoning me to paint!

Join in the Journey
 Hope you join me on this 30 day painting challenge... you can sign-up for these blog posts to be delivered right in your inbox... just look for the email sign-up box in the right column. Feel free to comment below and share either your  favorite places and/or things to do in CT or... Have you ever been to The Green Tea House in West Hartford, CT? or perhaps you have a favorite flavor tea or coffee that you enjoy during quiet moments, please share, I would love to hear your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment